Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Day At The Zoo...

Good Evening PEOPLE,

Hope you all had a nice day...We did!

We woke up early enough to have breakfast in a nice cafe in Mid-Town Atlanta; it's pretty amazing to see how, despite the fact that the real estate market is not in the best possible condition here in the metro area, the high rise building are still going up, and up, and up. If you go see the gallery for the day on Flickr, you'll see what I'm talking about.



Coke is EVERYWHERE!:




Here is the link to the photo set to see the pictures in case you want to go see them:



After breakfast we took a quick downtown Atlanta tour, and then, since it was a great sunny day, we decided to go to the Zoo (which we skipped yesterday because of the crowds infesting the park! LOL).

It was absolutely worth every penny, I'm a big animal lover (I know, I went to the Zoo, I guess I'm not), but hey, if the next time I come back on this earth as a Meerkat, I definitely want to go live at the Atlanta Zoo. All they do is sleep, eat, and ehm, well, you know what I mean... ;-) What more could anybody possibly ask for?
You don't believe what I'm saying?
Just take a look at the African Naked Mole (Yeah,right, the one I sent you all guys the Email a few weeks ago, the one that looks like a pee-pee with big teeth!):
I also saw Pandas and Giraffes for the first time, alligators (not really the first time!) and a lot of monkeys, birds, and snakes...oh, did I mention I saw alligators? ;-)

Here is the goat, yes, the one that gives you the goat cheese you put in your crusted salmon:



Or this beautiful owl who I just found out has hollow bones, and only weights 3 pounds for that reason:


Here's an especially endangered species of Panda, that needs a lot of TLC:



And here are the Flamingoes:



We spent roughly 3 and a half hours at the Zoo for an admission price of $13.99, again, if you ever come to Atlanta, skip the big water tanks and the Georgia Aquarium and go straight to the Zoo, and most probably the Botanical Garden which might be in our plans for tomorrow.

As soon as we got home this afternoon, the plan was for me to check the website for Stone Mountain and then go over there to see the carving, have dinner, and watch the laser show, but being Memorial Day Weekend, we found out today was a big day, with Lee Greenwood in concert...Yes, you're right, Lee Greenwood, the one that is proud to be an American where he knows he's at least free...! :-)

We said "No Thanks" to that, although I love country music, it is just that at this point in my life as I said already, I'm trying to avoid the crowds as much as I can!

Instead we changed our schedule for the evening and went to Chima, the Brazilian Steakhouse that you can check at: http://www.chima.cc/.

Todd, our wonderful host also joined us for dinner, I must say we really enjoyed his company for these few days we've been staying at his place.

For those of you who don't know how a Brazilian steakhouse works, it's quite simple.
You pay a flat price (in this case it was $46.50) a you eat as much meat as you want (I think I mentioned this already in a previous post! LOL I'm getting forgetful!).

Now, let me tell ya, I probably had three 8oz Filet Mignon, several slices of beef tenderloins, a pork chop with a parmesan cheese crust, some Portuguese sausage, ribeye steak, beef carpaccio, a nice home made pasta salad with tuna, smashed potatoes, green and kalamata olives, and last but not least, vanilla ice cream with a hot banana sauce, with banana slices cooked in a orange juice reduction, I think I went to Meat HEAVEN!!!

I actually think I did, although my stomach at one point (after dessert! LOL) told me enough is enough, and therefore I had to stop.

We even got a huge (enough for four) birthday cake for Hap included in the price, the staff at Chima really outdid themselves, making me think that after all I was glad we decided not to go to Stone Mountain.

Speaking of Stone Mountain, it's our first thing on our "To Do list" for tomorrow, we certainly won't see the Laser show, but we're definitely going to see the carving, we have to!

All right, it's time for me to go plan the route for tomorrow, it would be nice to head further west a little bit to get to Chattanooga, TN, maybe up north to Knoxville, and then head east to reach Ashville, SC, and finally put the top down and enjoy the ride on the Appalachian Trail through the Blue Ridge Parkway (a road that stretches for 469 miles, from Maine to Georgia!). Some of the hihlights will be the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Mount Mitchell State Park, Grandfather Mountain, Little Switzerland, and many other places we're going to talk about later.

That's all for today folks, I hope you're enjoying reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it, it's a pleasure.

Have a good night.

Nico

No comments: