Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Driving Through The "Big Apple"!

Hello Everybody!

This has been a fairly long driving day.
We woke this morning to a cloudy day. There was a light mist outside when I went to the car to take from the backseat one of my chocolate protein bars that I usually have for breakfast.

Fran and Lynn had a special treat for me, knowing that I like hot chocolate for breakfast (yes, being Italian has its advantages...), I found waiting for me a cup of hot chocolate/vanilla cappuccino to die for.



I also need to thank them for the directions they gave us, it proves that humans are still better than GPS, although I couldn't certainly move without mine, that's for sure.



Doylestown, PA is only a two hours drive from Manhattan, NY which made it pretty easy for us to get down to Battery Park for our first "Stop", Lady Liberty! She's always beautiful, and patient, she's been standing there for quite a long time! But before visiting with Miss Liberty, I drove past Ground Zero. I still find it hard to believe what happened there that day, and that big empty space that they're now leaving in the Manhattan skyline...


Second stop, Times Square, top down, wind gently caressing our hair, it doesn't get any better than that; oh well, maybe a little bit more sun would have been nice, that's for sure.


Taking the "bug" to Times Square was my main objective, and we took care of that; I can't describe what it feels like to drive through the streets of New York City, it's pretty amazing!


After our stop (not because we actually stopped, but only because traffic was so heavy we moved at the speed of 1yd/h! LOL) in Times Square, we went to Central Park, and we drove through it from 51st Street to 72nd, which is the only portion of the park where I believe cars are allowed.

The last stop, after driving all the way down back on 5th Avenue to 34st Street, has been the Brooklyn Bridge, where I had never been before. The bridge is beautiful, I kept looking at it and dream about it while chewing for many many years "Brooklyn Chewing Gums" (Le cingomme del ponte di Brooklyn!), and to actually be there today driving over it, well, there really are no words to describe it. As you can see, I'm very fond of New York City, it is such a cosmopolitan place.



We're currently in Mystic, CT, yes, that same Mystic of the movie "Mystic Pizza", and NO, we haven't had dinner there, I went online and didn't actually read anything positive about it, so after such a long day we actually decided we wanted something worth the wait.

We ended up going into this Chinese/Japanese Restaurant called Peking Tokyo, a small but nice place in a strip mall not too far from exit 90 on I95.

The Hotel is also located on exit 90 on I95, it's a very nice and inexpensive Comfort Inn, fairly good size room, spotless, and my guess is that it has probably been recently built (a few years in business I would say). For $59.99 we really got a great deal, also considering that we called every other hotel around, and they were all in the $89/139 price range.

Tomorrow we will get to Rhode Island, and the day after to Massachusetts where we will stop for 10 days in order for me to plan the "Western Route" to Seattle, WA and Vancouver, Canada.

Hope you all had a great day,
Nico

No comments: